Friday, January 14, 2011

Franzz'z Danzz'z

Being not a painter, I am heavily influenced by countless historical icons and personal friends and simply looking at the many incredible works that I'm sure have imprinted my consciousness. Quilters, fabric artist, weavers in particular, like those coming out of Africobra drive my photographic forms and when the opportunity to bend or abstract presents itself, no matter what the subject matter is, I will attempt to follow. So here, to my chagrin the couple far left and the 2 couples far right, provide a Ringgold like connection and their audience reminiscent of Lawrence. Yet this whole experience is laid on top of a line dancing experience  exploring a 3D rendering technique that took the mundane to another height [in my mind]. Just as I encountered this experience, a close friend, quizzically asked, "so what is your definition of, "black art?" We are clearly bigger than the box we were expected to be kept in, he then showed me some work that was stellar, which emulated and achieved the style of the old European masters....and smiled.

No comments:

Post a Comment